Chartering a bus can be a daunting task to handle if you are not experienced in dealing with bus companies not to mention managing the schedules of a large group that will be filling your charter. Below we have put together the Top 10 questions to ask your potential bus company before you book your next bus trip.
Not all bus companies are the same and the bus or motor coaches they operate vary widely as well, so we always recommend that you visit the bus company you plan to charter with prior to booking. Making this visit will allow you to see the bus companies operation and also view the bus in person to be sure it will meet or exceed your requirements. The age and mileage of the bus are two things to check as well as insurance, but what about Wi-Fi if this is a corporate charter, or satellite TV if you are going out of town for a football game or sporting event?
Also, be sure to get your quote or confirmation in writing and if you charter will take you out of town get the mileage rate in writing as well. Mileage rates can vary widely from company to company and may also change by season. Remember you want to try and get an All Inclusive rate if you can. This is difficult as most bus companies do not include driver gratuity with their standard rates, so be sure to ask if this will be an additional cost.
- For trips over the road: How many local miles are allowed per day after reaching your destination? What is the charge for exceeding them?
- Does the quote include parking and tolls?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- Who pays for the driver's hotel room and board? Is 10% the standard driver gratuity with your company?
- What is your procedure in the event of a breakdown?
- Can you provide proof of insurance? (The state requires a $5 million policy for interstate transportation)
- Does your company own the bus, or will it be brokered out?
- Is the bus available for inspection before chartering?
- Are you members of any associations? (UMA, NTA, ABA, MCC)
- Does your company have its own maintenance facility?